Thursday, February 17, 2011

Eternal Love

Walking out of class today I was a little frustrated with the movie. I felt like Ennis and Jack never changed. Yes they grew out their facial hair, and shaved from time to time, but for the most part I saw no differences. I feel like if you add up all the times that Jack and Ennis were together on Brokeback, the audience realizes how little time they spent together, even though they've actually known each other for years. After putting a lot of thought into it, I realized that I felt like Jack and Ennis' relationship went on for eternity, making it seem as though their love was everlasting.

Ang Lee used setting to enforce this feeling: Brokeback Mountain. At one point when Ennis tells Jack that he won't be able to see him until November; Jack is standing in front of the mountains. It was at this point that I realized that Jack represented stability. If we look at Ennis and his life up until this point in the movie, the audience will notice that he has been through a lot. His wife divorced him, he doesn't have a good paying job, he feels like people know he's gay, and he isn't much of a talker. The odds are against him, he hasn't been able to conform and hide his sexuality as well as Jack has. Jack on the other hand, aside from the fact that he misses Ennis, hasn't had any real problems. And so, it bothered me that Jack constantly suggested that he and Ennis leave their families and move in together, and even after Ennis says no, he still hopes. These hopes are what help their love still lives on.

No comments:

Post a Comment