Thursday, February 17, 2011

From Christina

I thought that there were a lot of interesting choices that Ang Lee made in this part of the movie. I think I paid a lot more attention to the colors that Ang Lee used. If you look at the scene with Lureen and Jack in the back of her car, I thought it was interesting that the car was red. Colors can signify and foreshadow a lot. I think red signified passion, while the Jack's black car, in the scene where he was driving away from Ennis, signified despair. Aside from color I think facial expressions/eye contact can say a lot about a character. While facial expression cannot be controlled by the director, and are the actor's choice, its still something that I would like to touch upon. The effect that Ennis' lack of eye contact when talking to Jack had on me, showed that he was a little insecure. I'd say insecure because when Ennis looks at Alma he looks at her in her eyes. I think that there is an underlying theme that is being referenced here. It's saying that men feel like they have authority over women, yet they don't feel that way around men. This theme, masculinity, has also been hinted at in other scenes. When Jack punched Ennis by mistake, Ennis didn't need to punch him back, but because he wanted to prove that he was masculine he did. Another observation I made while watching the movie was that there are a lot of pauses when Jack and Ennis were talking. Like molly had mentioned in class, punctuation is an important part of the movie. I found that these pauses could have been a representation of commas or m-dashes. I also liked the way that Ang Lee chose to use figurative language. It is one thing to read a metaphor or simile in a piece of text but it is another to see the way someone presents it in dialogue. When Joe Aguirre implied that Jack was a queer and said that "[Jack] had spent time on Brokeback stemming the rose." I thought that the conviction with which he said that was a good actor's choice. Sound also played a big role, his use of synchronous and asynchronous sound gives the scene a certain feel, and so does Ang Lee's pacing.

No comments:

Post a Comment