Monday, February 14, 2011

Post

I love the cinematography in the film. In the story we read simile and metaphor describing the beautiful landscape. The story did a good job of using colorful description and images to reveal emotion in a non-gooshy way. The long pans of the mountains and country allow the description and metaphorical language to come alive on screen.
Not only that, but I like the time it takes to get up to Brokeback. It seems to elude to the magic of the mountain, and indicate nothing will ever be the same once they make the same trip down.

(new thought)
Although I agree with Henry about certain things in his post, I want to respectfully disagree about the "(implied) homosexual experience" connecting to his experience riding rodeo. On the contrary, I think one of the things Lee does to make each character 'manly'. Making Jack and Ennis manly and not having any stereotypical homosexual qualities makes the transition all the more dramatic, as well as the fact that they have to keep is a secret more exciting, because no one really knows. The gruff, manly demeanor of the characters is presented even as they have sex in the tent. I wrote down 'manly sex' when I saw the scene (which I guess is a weird thing to write...) because they were very rough and almost anamalistic. However, I do not think the act came from a place of animal lust, but rather a place of passion and desire.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, the way they express their passion and love is quite animalistic, tying to their roles in society as having to be manly. It's more genuine though because they grew up that way and it's the way they view men dealing with other men (not the sex but the roughness).

    Onto the cinematography, it's amazing what they do. At the beginning of each new scene in the mountains or on the way back from the mountains, the first shot is always a landscape shot. Actually i would need to look at the film again for this I think there are always landscape shots when Ennis and Jack are together showing their happiness, and beauty.

    ReplyDelete