Wednesday, February 16, 2011

I spent my comment (emailed to Jenny) on Ean's post ranting about the two mirror scenes in Jack's side mirror. I don't want to continue my post with that, but I do want to write some things I noticed about the characterization of Jack and Ennis made in this segment we watched.

Yes, to briefly mention the two mirror scenes, I do think these are important. I think the second one reaffirms the assumption that Jack is interested in Ennis and looking at him through his side mirror, and not just innocently shaving in the first scene because he is mournfully looking at Ennis for one more//one last glance. This also makes Jack's feelings much more apparent to the watcher, characterizing him early on as the more emotional one in the relationship. This position is reaffirmed later when he is playfully lassoing Ennis, and every time they go to cuddle, kiss, or have sex, Jack is always the one to caress Ennis' cheek or look more impassioned. Even when not with Ennis Jack is the one to be dominated (when with his future wife, she even made the first move) or act the most flirty (like when he is at the bar).

Ennis is much more aggressive and has internalized the anti-gay sentiment popular in America in the 1960s. He is always the first to say that he "ain't queer." When he was provoked to face the bikers, he was given a sense of power because he was shot from the point of view of the biker on the ground looking up at him. He is not emotional and is shot in shadow when he cry//punches the side of the barn when he and Jack separate (it is also windy, I don't know if that symbolizes anything, but I think it's important to note).

No comments:

Post a Comment